Monday, February 13, 2012

Hollywood- 1914-1919 (World War I)

In Mrs. Lawson's history class I was given the Topic "Hollywood" to research while we studied World War I. The goal of the project was to find as information on what Hollywood people, films, a vibe would have been like. And of course, while searching this I found more details about Cinema during World War II than I because Film was used more, things were documented differently, and things were more advanced than they were in World War one.
While using the Britannica to look up Hollywood Motion Pictures, I found out that American Government along with Hollywood producers worked closely together to inform the people of the happenings and where about's of people in the war. The movies that were usually made from the Hollywood producers would gave off a sense of how they(Americans) portrayed the Germans and the German ways of Life as if they knew how all Germans viewed Americans. Americans in films, as you all know of course, were shown to be the sweet Innocent ones being attacked.
I didn't find a lot on the History of Hollywood, but I did find some interesting videos that portrayed life during World War 1. Here is a video from World War one. Here as you can see that the video quality is not that clear, and that it looks very pixilated. We also notice about these early films that there was of course no "REAL" audio to go along with the films.
During the Process of the research I struggled with finding Primary sources for hollywood films. I believe it is because everything that was anything being recorded was used for lab work in hospitals , and investigations.

No comments:

Post a Comment